Okay, so here's the deal. This post is about 11 days late, but I actually started writing this on January 1st. I ended up getting oddly tired that night and saved this post as a draft to finish in the morning, went to bed, and woke up with the worst bout of the flu ever. I've actually never had a full-fledged flu in my entire life, as my immune system is pretty strong, but this one knocked me on my butt for a full 8 days. So here it is, 11 days later, but better now than never, yeah? Plus, it all still applies, even 11 days late. Boo to the flu!
Let's rewind 11 days...
I think there is something so zen about starting a new year. It's a fresh start, a clean slate, and a new opportunity to better yourself and your life. Lots of people will say that you "don't need a new year to start new goals - you can do that anytime," but I still think that the start of a new year is the perfect time to reflect on what you want to achieve during the year and put some of your ideas into action.
I like to keep track of my resolutions every year, and I love looking back to see if I accomplished any of them. Let's take a look at last year's resolutions:
1) Go on a fun trip for my birthday. Check! I spent my 25th birthday in Cabo.
2) Go to Europe. Fail. This didn't happen… but maybe in 2014!
3) Get my sleep on a strict schedule. Check! It's been a struggle, but I've been working on my sleep and it is much better than it was last year at this time. Last year at this time was actually the worst my sleep has ever been, so it makes sense that I would add this as a resolution.
4) Do #MakeupMAYhem. Check! MakeupMAYhem was perfect this year, and actually the most successful YouTube series I have ever done.
5) Reach 1 million subscribers on YouTube. Check!
6) End the year at the same weight I started it. Check!
5 out of 6 is pretty good, which brings me to this year's resolutions…
I'll be honest, 2013 was a pretty scattered year for me. It was going great up until "the big move", but then I just couldn't get my feet back under me. My life, both physically and mentally, became very unorganized and the more it fell into an unorganized pattern, the harder it became to pull it back together. Sound familiar? I think a lot of people have had times in their lives where this has happened to them. And so, I have decided that 2014 is going to be the year of structure...
…and that means in every area. I want to spend time getting my new condo put together; creating the organizational structure that is key to keeping your place neat. I haven't sat down and done this since moving in, and it shows - I can't find anything ever, it's always a little messy looking, and I always have a clutter pile or two floating around because not everything has a home yet. I know it will take time to get this place perfect, and I'm not looking to do it over the course of a week - I know it will take months for it to be in a place where I am happy with it, but it will be worth it. It's all about baby steps!
I also want to implement this organizational structure into my work life as well, and step one is keeping an agenda again. I used to LIVE by my agenda, but I stopped keeping one sometime early last year, and it showed. I adopted a Kate Spade agenda from Glitzy-Glam that arrived a bit damaged, so we couldn't sell it, so I want to start using it to keep track of everything in my life.
So here are my basic new year's resolutions for 2014:
1) Have a mini goal every week in regards to my condo organization. If I accomplish one mini project a week by the end of the year I will have done 52 mini projects - that is definitely enough to have a meticulously organized condo by the end of the year! Goal #1 is my closet. Man, if you guys could see it… it is a MESS! You would be appalled, truly. (Author's Note from 11 days in the future - I've already started on this, and it's slowly coming together. I've started by removing a ton of stuff and putting it on my kitchen table, so now I have a kitchen table full of clothing. It's amazing how big of a project my closet is… you would think I could just tackle it in one day, but it is taking me ages!)
2) Make my blogs a priority. Both this blog and DreaminginBlush have been left in the dust a little the past few months, but I want really make an effort to keep both of these going strong throughout 2014. This blog has an advantage because I will be doing a ton to the condo in terms of decor and organization throughout the next few months, and each project will be documented here. That was actually the whole reason I started this blog, so I could have a place to talk about home improvement stuff!
3) On the same note as #2, I would really LOVE to start ElleandBlair.com back up. I have some ideas for it, but I'm still trying to decide what I want it to be exactly. For any bloggers out there - any feedback would be appreciated! I'm thinking maybe it can be a landing page for all things Elle&Blair, and also somehow have both my blogs and Blair's blog feed into it, so it's like a mega-hub for all of our content. I would have to talk to a website designer about the logistics, but I think it would be safe to say that ElleandBlair.com will come back sometime this year.
4) Keep running! (Author's Note from 11 days in the future - I haven't ran since before New Year's, as I have been sick in bed with the flu. The last few days I have felt much better energy-wise, but I still have a deep chest cough so I want to make sure I'm better before getting into it again. I miss it!)
I think those are 4 well-rounded resolutions. So here are some questions for you, my lovely readers.
What are your resolutions?
What do you think would make the ultimate ElleandBlair.com website?
Do you have any feedback for me on either one of my blogs or my YouTube channels on how to make it better? What would you like to see more or less of?
I love you guys so much - truly. I know my content lags sometimes, but honestly - you guys are my people! Heart you!